Remember the rule: DON't TELL THEM IT'S DETOX!
Remember the other rule: Detox-delish - quick and easy - not too many ingredients!
There is a particular secret to this vilified clandestine mission to create health through whole food.....and you may have witnessed me revealing this classified information once or twice before...it's...BACON!
OK - Here we go! This is my very own original recipe below! I made it up on the fly driving home wondering what the hell I was going to do with red rice I bought at Home Goods. Ha!!!
- 1 pound bag large or jumbo wild caught shrimp - peeled and de-veined, thaw and patted dry (I use a little sea salt on the shrimp while draining to remove water)
- 4 pieces uncured organic bacon - chopped into very small pieces
- 2 cans water-chestnuts - no preservatives!
- 1 shallot - minced
- 1 cup organic heirloom red rice - cooked
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro - chopped - not minced
- maple syrup - about 2 tablespoons
- rice vinegar - just in case....
- sea salt, ground pepper
- red Chile pepper flakes
Here are a couple of success tips to start:
- Red rice takes a while to cook - so get "er done! Use your own chicken stock if possible - other wise water and sea salt do just fine. Broth DOES improve the overall nutritional value if it's your stock from an organic chicken!!! While that's cooking - do the rest!
- Also - previously frozen shrimp can take a while to thaw - speed it up by placing them in cold water bath - out of the bag - then when thawed - place in colander and lightly salt to get rid of moisture - this will make them crisp - not mushy. Also - pat dry before cooking.
- Use high heat - but don't let it "smoke".
Put rice in large shallow bowl - toss in a little dash of rice vinegar and a little olive oil to coat, seas salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sliced water chestnuts and fresh cilantro.
When shrimp are crisp (not crispy) - toss in bacon bits and shallots, pour the maple syrup over all of it and toss together.
Dump the detox-delish shrimp mixture - glaze and all - over the red rice mixture and serve immediately!!!
My mouth had an orgasm when I ate this...if that's possible.
I just made this at my Detox Cooking Class at a clients house - they were all amazed...I think they may have had a little pleasure in their mouth too when they tasted this gem. Does that make it a food orgy?
Gotta go...Onto my next detox adventure! Giddy up!!!!